Monday, January 28, 2008

Dusting off the Cobwebs


I am embarrased to say that I am using this blog to 'force' me into completing the cross stitch project from hell.

Let me start at the beginning. I saw this Angel of Love design completed in a shop in New Orleans many years ago. I thought it was gorgeous and resolved to make one for myself.

If I had a time machine, I would go back and erase that thought from my memory. Make no mistake, this design is stunning, I just had no idea what would be involved in completing it.

I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly certain I started this in 1997. How horrifying!

Why haven't I finished this yet???

First, this is done on linen. Never done that before. I've had to purchase multiple magnifying glasses to assist me in seeing the threads. I've learned to do work on it, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as Aida cloth. (This will be my first and last project on linen).

The main problem with this design is in the Angel's skirt. There are over 4,100 individual beads on it, plus metallic thread and blending filament. What that heck are those, you ask? I had no idea either. They are a pain in the neck to work with. The diameter of the beads are so small, you have to use special needles that I can barely thread a single floss through.

That's all the griping I will do. I've got so much time and effort invested in this project, I WILL COMPLETE THIS ANGEL OR DIE TRYING!

I am making the commitment to spend at least 2 hours every Monday to working on this, until it is finished. I will post pictures of my progress here for all to see.

Wish me luck!

No comments: