Monday, February 18, 2008

Progress Continues - Can't avoid the braid


Since today is a school holiday, I worked on the Angel for many hours yesterday. The hard part is getting started, then hours pass by and you see how much more there is to do, and finally you reach a threshold when you have to stop.

I started out doing more bead work, then I swallowed hard and took out the Orange Braid. I really don't enjoy working with this thread, but it is in the pattern, so it must be dealt with. Why the dislike? It is too thick for the needles I have and due to the texture, it knots easily. I made the decision to do as much of it as I could yesterday, and I made quite a dent in it. Low and behold, I'm almost out of the thread. I'll have to make a trip to a specialty shop to buy more.

Lastly, I endulged in some old-fashioned embroidery floss. What a joy to just pass a needle back and forth through the thread. No stopping to pick up a miniature bead, no snagging on the fabric. It is almost too much.

Now I really want to finish this project so I can go back to working with materials I really enjoy. This Angel will be a treasure for the rest of my life, but the journey is long and arduous.

Here's a close up picture of the work. You can see the beads, orange braid and floss much better.

No comments: